The boys were playing outside so nice this morning after we ran our errands that I decided I should spruce up an old wreath I’ve had for a couple of years. It was starting to fall apart after being displayed outside during previous summers and truthfully, I was just bored with it. So, while they played peacefully in the sandbox, I got to work.
Jack was watering the fake flowers he planted in his sandbox. I’m thinking this might be his mother’s influence. And Jamison was showing me the apple he found. They are almost ripe.
Every November, my mom and I go to a floral show in Waukesha and the designer they have speak is uber talented and completely hysterical. One of the things he talks a lot about is transitioning items from one season to the next so you can get more bang for your buck. And, the cooler weather we’ve been having lately has me thinking about fall.
I found a couple of fall floral picks at the Dollar Store yesterday and everything else I needed I had on hand: floral tape, floral wire, wire cutter, scissors and gold spray glitter.
First I repaired the wreath and balanced out the yellow forsythia stems that needed moving. Next, I cut each individual flower off the main pick leaving as long of a stem as possible. I used floral tape to create mini picks to stick into my wreath. I only ended up needing 3 of the floral bunches I bought.
Once I had the mini picks put together, I just tucked them under the wire that already existed on the wreath and held the grapevine in place.
When I was done inserting the flowers, I sprayed the entire wreath with gold spray glitter. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but when the wreath is hung outside and the sun hits it, the glitter is really pretty. Finally, I pulled out some fall ribbon from my stash and made a traditional bow as the final touch.
And, voila! Here is the finished product. It only took me about 20 minutes & $3.00 total and I love how it turned out.